While the state of North Carolina doesn't use SR-22 insurance forms to confirm insurance requirements they still require proof of insurance to reinstate your license.
How do I find the cheapest auto insurance in NC?
The best way to save money on auto insurance in North Carolina is to compare rates from top companies. In the past you would need to call each company to get quotes which could take many hours to complete. Today you can use our online service which takes less than 5 minutes to complete a simple and secure form. This service will get quotes from up to 5 different companies allowing you to compare rates and coverage options.
North Carolina Liability Insurance Requirements
The state of North Carolina requires liability insurance to protect other drivers in the event of an accident. The minimum limits are:
- $30k Per Person Bodily Injury
- $60k Per Accident Bodily Injury
- $25k Property Damage
While these limits are minimum they are rarely recommended levels of coverage. Ask your insurance agent what they recommend based on your financial position.
Suspended License Information and Requirements
North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles may suspend your license for many different violations. Below is a chart of the violation and suspension periods.
Violation | Suspension Period:
- Speeding 15mph+ over the limit when in 55 mph zone or higher | 30 revocation
- Second charge of speeding 15mph+ over the limit when in 55 mph zone or higher within one year | 60 days
- Speeding plus reckless driving on the same occasion | 60 days
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs - 1st offense | 1 year
- DUI - 2nd offense | 4 years
- DUI - 3rd offense | Permanent
- Manslaughter | 1 year
- Death by vehicle | 1 year
- Manslaughter while DUI | Permanent
- Prearranged racing with another motor vehicle on the highway | 3 years
- Refusal to submit chemical test for DUI | 1 year
Driving While Impaired (DWI) in North Carolina
North Carolina has many different penalties and fines for driving while impaired so we will leave it to your court decision to layout what is expected. What we can show you is the legal limits and what to expect for first convictions.
The level of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) determines if a driver is driving illegally. Below is a list of limits that will cause a DWI conviction:
- All drivers = .08% BAC or higher
- Drivers under age 21 = .02% or higher
- Commercial drivers = .04% or higher
What if I refuse the BAC test?
This is also considered Implied Consent Law which states that when you get your driver's license you have given consent to a chemical test of your blood, breath or urine if suspected of driving while impaired. If you refuse this test your license will be suspended for 30 days then a court will determine if your license should be suspended for 1 year.
Required to get an Ignition Interlock Device?
In March 2010 the Division of Motor Vehicles started a study to update the standards used by its Ignition Interlock Program. Any proposed changes will likely take place in 2011.
Currently an IID is required for your second and subsequent driving while intoxicated (DWI) offense.
How much does an IID cost to install?
The cost to install and maintain the IID is the responsibility of the driver. Installation cost including the first two months of service is $170 plus taxes. Subsequent months are $60 plus tax to maintain the IID.